After surviving an awful stomach bug a few weeks ago, I still don’t have my appetite back. No complaints however, I’m still showing off my goal weight – booyah!
The only thing that I have had an absolutely overwhelming craving for are smoothies – BUT not just any smoothie – POWER PROTEIN SMOOTHIES. That’s right people – I can jam pack anywhere from 20 – 30 grams of protein into one cup of smoothie awesomeness. I am also getting a full serving (sometimes two) of the fruits and vegetables that my body craves. These smoothies fill me up, increase my protein intake for the day, AND pump me silly with vitamins and antioxidants.
Lots of you have asked me for some healthy smoothie recipes. Here are a few that I suggest. Just dump all the ingredients into your mixer and blend until smooth! Comment below – let me know what you think of them!
Spring Cleaning Smoothie via Eat Clean Diet
Don’t let the color turn you off – this smoothie packs 14g of protein and a whole lot of flavor. Try it for breakfast on the go!
• 1 tsp / 5 ml Spirulina powder
• 1 serving hemp protein powder (or any kind of protein powder you prefer)
• 1 Tbsp / 15 ml coarsely ground flaxseed
• 1/4 cup / 60 ml dry oatmeal
• 1/2 banana
• 1/3 cup / 80 ml applesauce
• 1/2 tsp / 2 1/2 ml vanilla
• Handful of ice cubes
• 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced (Optional: save 1 or 2 slices for garnish)
• 1/3 cup / 80 ml low-fat plain yogurt
• 1/2 cup / 120 ml milk of your choice
• Juice of 1/2 orange
Tropical Tango Smoothie via Oxygen Magazine
If you like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain you’ll LOVE this healthier rendition.
• 1/2 cup mango, sliced
• 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
• 1 cup non-fat vanilla soy milk
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 2 ice cubes
Optional – Top this smoothie with 2 teaspoons almonds, sliced.
Cake-like Vanilla Blackberry Smoothie via the Clean Eating Club Online
Who doesn’t cake? Celebrate your hard workout at the gym this morning with this as your afternoon treat!
• 1 cup Light Silk Soymilk
• 1 scoop vanilla flavored protein powder
• 1/4 c. frozen blackberries (sub any frozen fruit you prefer)
• 1 tbs. wheat germ
• 1 tbs. ground flax seed
The Purple Protein Shake from the Feb 2011 Issue of Oxygen Magazine
This is my new FAVE! If you want to ward off the flu or dodge that cold which has been floating around your office – this shake is definitely for you. Mangoes are a real boost to your immune system with a superior blend of vitamins A, C and E!
• 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
• 1/4 cup frozen mango pieces
• 1/4 cup frozen cherries
• 1/2 cup sugar free & fat free yogurt (plain or vanilla)
• 1 tsp honey
• 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
• 1 tsp flaxseed oil